frame

Comments

• Thank you, Sandy! You can tell, we were not paying attention to Mesquite and More! I may use this for a social media post. I'll try it out first!

• Here's another awesome pesto recipe, very adaptable! We have the yummy purslane with little yellow flowers and it grows quick, so I'll be using this recipe to process some that was in the way of another project(it may be a volunteer, but I don't consider it a weed). I got this from page 289 of Eat Mesquite and More. While obviously written with desert harvesting and seasons in mind, it would be easy to adjust for any situation:

Sky Island Pesto

Contributed by Lia Griesser for EXO Kitchen

Our pesto recipe is designed to fluidly handle the pressure of seasonally changing ingredients, based on availability. The trick is to build up complementary flavors of our region that reflect the season. when we run out of basil in the fall, we transitioned to a combination of arugula, thyme, onion and monarda (wild oregano) in the winter, ingredients that help warm the body, strengthen the lungs, and circulate the blood. Making pesto is also an easy way to eat raw heartier or spikier wild harvested greens tat would normally need to be cooked, such as various thistles, stinging nettles, and squash leaves. Fair warning, this recipe makes a healthy portion. Freeze it for later or reduce by half or quarter the amount.

1 cup grated Parmesan

1 cup mix of nuts and/or seeds:pine nuts, bellotas, chia, barrel cactus, wild sunflower

4 garlic cloves

2 teaspoons salt

1 cup olive oil

8 cups greens:

-Spring/Dry Summer: Amaranth, verdolagas/purslane, and lamb's quarter

-Wet Summer/Early Fall: basil

-Late Fall/Spring: arugula or mustard

OPTIONAL FLAVORFUL ADDITIONS:

1-2 Tablespoons wild herbs: oreganillo, chinchweed, wild oregano, Canadian fleabane, estafiate, yerba santa, cudweed

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon ground mustard seed

2 teaspoons sumac; we use the local lemonade berry (also called lemonade sumac, Rhus integrifolia)

1/2 to 1 cup onion (wild onions, l'toi's, leeks, garlic scapes, or anything with a similar flavor)

In a food processor blend Parmesan, nuts, seeds, garlic, salt and olive oil until smooth. Add greens 2-3 cups at a time (they won't all fit in the food processor at once). When measuring, pack greens down into the cup to fully fill. It takes A LOT of greens! Use the pulse setting so as not to overprocess/overheat and wilt the greens. When using sour verdolagas in the spring and summer, omit the sumac. To balance the zing of spicier greens like London rocket (wild arugula), substitute a couple cups of spinach, kale, or chard in yoru total amount of greens used.

Makes about 2 cups.

• We also took the pods and sauteed them with oil and salt. They were a hit fresh and an even bigger hit with the oil and salt. Not much worked with the seed bombing, but the daikons did GREAT! Also good for helping kids learn to identify plants, taste safely and compare and contrast with other flowering brassicas. So funny to see how some kids love the flavors and others don't know what to think of something that looks like a snap pea and taste spicy.

• OMG! Finally a use for my daikon leaves! I will do this!

pesto #recipes

• I found this recipe: https://cnz.to/recipes/dips-spreads/radish-leaf-pesto-recipe/ but since "2 handfuls" was vague, I kind of guesstimated on the other ingredients as well and ended up with what we called "wasabi pesto" that was actually pretty good! We used daikon leaves, parmesan, pinenuts and olive oil.